020 7459 3456 [email protected]

Collegiate Underwriting – Committed to quality underwriting of Architects


The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) requires its members to have PI insurance. With the developments in the construction industry in the last 30 years, there are few architects who do not see the benefits of protecting their balance sheet through PI insurance.

Appropriate PI Insurance cover is required for every architect’s practice applying to become a Chartered Practice, in accordance with guidance note 5 of the RIBA Code of Professional Conduct. For UK-based practices the insurance cover must also comply with the Architects Registration Board’s (ARB) guidelines for PII.


For a quotation

Please download and complete the proposal form on the right, or send a copy of your current insurer’s proposal to [email protected]. If you prefer to speak to the team please call us on 020 7459 3456.



  • Direct contact with the underwriter
  • RIBA and ARB compliant policy
  • Limits of Indemnity up to £5 million
  • Coverage – cover is included for criminal defence costs relating to any regulation or statute which applies to your business, for example the Construction, Design and Management (CONDAM) Regulations.
  • Industry leading claims service
  • A-(Excellent) policy security
PI Requirements
The minimum levels of PI required by the ARB are
  • £250,000 where the gross fee income of the practice in the last financial year was less than £100,000
  • £500,000 where the gross fee income of the practice in the last financial year was between £100,000 and £200,000
  • £1,000,000 where the gross fee income of the practice in the last financial year exceeded £200,000



Document Centre

Proposal Form
Policy Wording
Collateral Warranties
Runoff FAQ

Runoff cover

All PI Insurance is on a claims made basis, that means you must have an active PI policy at the time a claim or allegation is made against you. It is important to remember that once a PI policy expires you can no longer make any claims against it. Therefore you need to consider maintaining your PI insurance once you cease trading. This is called Runoff Insurance.

Architects are required to arrange run-off cover when they cease to practice. This cover must be maintained for at least six years, and should be held at the highest level in the preceding three years prior to cessation of practice.